Microsoft Certification Exam: 70-486 is about testing one’s knowledge for Developing Web Applications using ASP.NET MVC, HTML & CSS. Purpose of this post is to provide reader step by step with:
- Good reference Material for Exam: 70-486 available online (including Free eBook, Articles etc.)
- Free Online Tests about ASP.NET MVC (Professional Free Tests)
- A Complete Online Practice Exam – Must take before appearing for actual exam (because actual exam costs you around $150). This Online Practice Exam: 70-486 provides you with almost same experience as that of real exam.
Exam: 70-486 PDF [Releasing Soon…..]
We are preparing a PDF document that contains list of 70-486 exam questions with correct answer and short description of the correct answer. So, keep in touch and be the first to get the exam 70-486 pdf.
Below are the topics listed by Microsoft itself that are covered in this exam.
- Design the application architecture
- Design the user experience
- Develop the user experience
- Troubleshoot and debug web applications
- Design and implement security
For further details about above topics, please follow this link to Microsoft Certification Exam Site here. Initially this exam was covering questions on ASP.NET MVC4 only but from September 2014 onward, questions from ASP.NET MVC5 and Windows Azure are also included.
You can find changes to Exam: 70-486 related to MVC5, Visual Studio 2013 and Windows Azure tasks in a properly formatted tabular format. This PDF document clearly explains the Tasks Added or changed in every respective topic/area. Click here to download the PDF document.
Reference Material for Exam: 70-486
If you are looking for reference material, the best reference you can have is the “Exam Ref 70-486: Developing ASP.NET MVC 4 Web Applications” by William Penberthy from Microsoft Press.You can get Exam Ref 70-486: Developing ASP.NET MVC4 Web Applications (Free eBook | Buy Paper book online). But this book covers ASP.NET MVC4 only.
For ASP.NET MVC5, PluralSight has provided video tutorials on MVC5 Fundamentals including Web Developer Tools for Visual Studio 2013, Identity and Security, Entity Framework 6 and Web API2 etc. A 10-day trial period is available but actual subscription costs from $29 to $49 monthly.
You can find below FREE Reference Material on ASP.NET MVC5:
- 4 Simple Steps to Create your First ASP.NET MVC5 Application
- Difference between ASP.NET MVC3, MVC4 and MVC5
- ASP.NET MVC Vs ASP.NET WebForms
- Building Applications using ASP.NET MVC5 & Entity Framework
- Understanding Controllers and Action Methods
- Razor View Engine Vs ASPX View Engine
- Understanding ASP.NET MVC Partial Views
- What are HtmlHelpers in ASP.NET MVC
- ViewBag Vs ViewData Vs TempData
- Top 10 ASP.NET MVC Interview Questions
In order to pass exam, you need to be practically strong on these Technologies and above tutorials uses fully practical approach with code samples. Top 10 ASP.NET MVC Interview Questions discusses core ASP.NET MVC concepts in much simpler way.
Microsoft Virtual Academy video lessons are also very helpful to start with ASP.NET MVC4 because it discusses concepts in good detail. Please follow here to get access to Video Tutorials.
Update: You can download you FREE copy of eBook “Programming ASP.NET MVC 5” on ASP.NET MVC 5 by Nimit Joshi. [Download eBook here].
This book is a good reference for MVC5 and follows a practical approach covering following topics taken AS IS from Book’s Table of Contents:
- Getting Started with ASP.NET MVC 5
- Working with Database
- Editing Application
- Working with External Authentication
- Entity Framework Database First Approach
- IIS Hosting and Publishing of Application
- Introduction of ASP.NET SignalR
Security being a very important topic, Microsoft has given it a share of 20-25% in MCSD Certification exam. It covers all important security features including authentication, authorization and data integrity. So, I find the following good material on Security:
- Authentication Options in Visual Studio 2013
- Customizing ASP.NET Authentication [Video]
- Using ASP.NET Identity in Visual Studio 2013 MVC project Tempalates
- [Authorize] attribute in ASP.NET MVC
- Customize User’s Profile in ASP.NET Identity System
Free Online Tests
You can find Online Quizzes on Web Development Tutorial to test your knowledge on different web technologies including Microsoft ASP.NET, ASP.NET MVC, HTML5, ASP.NET AJAX and jQuery etc. You can take ASP.NET MVC and HTML5 free online quizzes to improve your skill for Exam: 70-486. Also, at the end of the test you can follow recommended study material to further enhance your skill. Later appear again to verify improvements. You can follow Web Development Free Online Tests here.
Online Practice Exam: 70-486
Before appearing for any actual Certification Exams, it’s always recommended to verify your skills and preparation with Exam Simulators available online because these exam simulators gives you almost same experience as that of actual exam. Following are good Online Practice Exam for 70-486 available with real world scenarios and examples:
- Online Practice Exam: 70-486 (Developing ASP.NET MVC Web Applications) by Web Development Tutorials
- Good Pool of Questions and updating on regular basis.
- Real time practical scenario-based Questions
- Cost you only $4.99 instead of $4.95 [Regular Price].
- Practice Tests for Exam: 70-486 (Developing ASP.NET MVC Web Applications) by MeasureUp
- Good Pool of Questions with real world scenarios
- Download all questions option (costs $109)
- It costs between $79 to $109 for different available options
- Exam: 70-486 (Practice Exam and Quick Preparation Tips) by Self Test Training
- Total Questions = 104
- Downloadable PDF Questions List
- Downloadable Practice Exam Software
- PDF Question and Answers list costs $59
- PDF with Practice Test costs $99
Above shared material is really helpful to prepare for Exam: 70-486 (Developing ASP.NET MVC Web Applications). Prepare well before appearing for actual exam. I’ll keep updating this post to add more helpful material available online.