LabVIEW, MATLAB, and Python are all famous programming languages that are used by various engineers, software professionals and scientists in all the stages of product development starting from the design of a product to simulation and prototype testing. LabVIEW and MATLAB were developed by American software companies “National” Instruments and “Math Works” whereas Python is owned by the Python Software Foundation (PSF) which holds the intellectual property rights of Python programming language.
If you are curious about the benefits and distinguishing features of these three coding languages, then this article is just for you. Our team at takethiscourse.net has compiled a quick guide to help you all out in understanding these terms along with the differences between them. So, let’s get started.
LabVIEW (Laboratory Virtual Instrument Engineering Workbench) is a programming language and system engineering development setting that is best known for using graphical diagrams instead of text. LabVIEW offers an alternative to conventional text and numerical coding. It is mostly used by engineers to run tests and simulations and to monitor the overall performance of machinery.
Most people use LabVIEW for data acquisition tasks, operating system automation and instrument control. It is also used in engineering industry to run tests and simulations or to monitor machine performance and industrial equipment. Check out the best + free LabVIEW training courses.
The average salary of a LabVIEW developer in USA is $103,350 annually.
MATLAB is a widely used programming platform across engineering and scientific industries .it is the simplest and the most productive computing setting for scientists and engineers. It is the only programming language that is on top for technical and mathematical computing. Algorithm development, modeling, data analysis, simulation and application development are some of the most common uses of MATLAB. There are more than 4 million users around the globe who uses MATLAB as of the year 2020.
Python is a computer programming language which is used to develop websites and software, to automate tasks and to conduct data analysis. It is a general-purpose language which means that it can be used to develop various types of program and is not for specific problems.
According to the Python statistics 2020, there are 8.2 million Python developers in the world and one of the highest paid jobs at present is of a Python developer. In USA a Python programmer can earn up to $118,000 a year.
LabVIEW vs. MATLAB vs. Python – The differences
- The major difference between LabVIEW and MATLAB is that LabVIEW uses a graphical programming language to visualize applications while MATLAB is a computer programming language whose emphasis is on numerical functions. In contrast, Python is a general-purpose language in which everything is a more general object.
- LabVIEW is designed to create embedded systems while MATLAB is designed for mathematical and numerical computing and python is a dynamic, open-source programming language which is easy to code.
- MATLAB is a closed source, proprietary software whereas Python is free and open-source software. Talking about LabVIEW, it offers an edition “LabVIEW Community” that is free for non-commercial use.
- Another key difference between these three is the creation of a user interface. In MATLAB much time and expertise is needed to create a user interface than it does in LabVIEW because LabVIEW is designed exclusively for Graphical user interfaces. It is much simple to do in LabVIEW as compared to MATLAB whereas Python is a GUI programming support.
- LabVIEW is more hardware oriented and it’s much simpler to connect different parts of hardware on the platform due to its graphic interface while MATLAB requires extensive working to interface hardware, but as a platform MATLAB is more versatile as it supports a huge range of equipment. If we talk about Python, we see that the key feature of Python is that it is an object-oriented program which supports objects encapsulation and object-oriented languages.
- The technical difference between MATLAB and Python is that in MATLAB every item is treated as an array while in Python all items are general objects. For example, in MATLAB strings are arrays of characters while in Python, strings have their own object type called St. If we talk about LabVIEW then there are case structures in it which contains one or more sub diagrams which means that only one case can be executed at a time.
- The final prominent difference between these three lies in their accessibility. LabVIEW is usually considered the best choice for inexperienced users in coding or programming as the GUI is easy to use and understand, while MATLAB requires more technical expertise. In contrast, Python is a high-level programming language that is much easy to read and write. You might also be interested in top 9 Scrum Master Certifications.
Uses of LabVIEW, MATLAB, and Python:
MATLAB is the best choice for computing while LabVIEW is best for instrumental control and if we talk about Python then it is the best choice for developing websites.
MATLAB is designed especially for scientists and engineers while LabVIEW is ideal for data acquisition, processing, and test automation .For Python it is now also adopted by many non-programmers like accountants to perform a variety of tasks such as organizing finances. Python is used by developers that works on small and personal projects and by large internet companies. The actual Google algorithm was also written in Python.
LabVIEW is mostly used by engineers who perform the testing of products that they design and manufacture. LabVIEW is also used by NASA to control the opening and closing of shutters.
In a nutshell, we can say that all of them are excellent software programming platforms that can be used by individuals or companies around the globe. They all host exceptional features that makes them an ideal choice for coding simulations and programming. As for Python it is a really a vast language and community with a lot to learn and several people to learn from. Choosing the right option to use depends on your nature of work and suitability of each in performing certain tasks.