In previous ASP.NET MVC Tutorial, we discussed about different available options for passing data from Controller to View in ASP.NET MVC. We implemented passing data using ViewBag and ViewData in ASP.NET MVC application. Now, in this part of the tutorial, we are going to discuss about the third available option i.e. TempData.
- ASP.NET MVC Online Shopping Store Application using C#, Entity Framework, SQL Server
- FREE Online Tests (C# | ASP.NET MVC | ASP.NET | AJAX | jQuery | AngularJS )
- Build a Full-Stack Web Application with ASP.NET Core, Entity Framework Core and Angular 2 (Angular 4+)
ASP.NET MVC TempData Tutorial
TempData in ASP.NET MVC is basically a dictionary object derived from TempDataDictionary. TempData stays for a subsequent HTTP Request as opposed to other options (ViewBag and ViewData) those stay only for current request. So, TempdData can be used to maintain data between controller actions as well as redirects.
Note: Just like ViewData, typecasting and null checks required for TempData also in order to avoid errors.
Let’s see how we can use TempData in a practical scenario to pass data from one controller action to another.
//Controller Action 1 (TemporaryEmployee)
public ActionResult TemporaryEmployee()
Employee employee = new Employee
EmpID = "121",
EmpFirstName = "Imran",
EmpLastName = "Ghani"
TempData["Employee"] = employee;
//Controller Action 2(PermanentEmployee)
public ActionResult PermanentEmployee()
Employee employee = TempData["Employee"] as Employee;
As in above example, we store an employee object in TempData in Controller Action 1 (i.e. TemporaryEmployee) and retrieve it in another Controller Action 2 (i.e. PermanentEmployee). But If we try to do the same using ViewBag or ViewData, we will get null in Controller Action 2 because only TempData object maintains data between controller actions.
An important thing about TempData is that it stores contents in Session object. Then one may raise a question that “What’s the difference between TempData in ASP.NET MVC and Session?” or “Why we have TempData dictionary object?, Why can’t we use the Session object directly?”
- A. System.Web.http
- B. System.Web.mvcframework
- C. System.Web.mvc
- D. System.Web.mvc.helpers
To further test your ASP.NET MVC skill, Take a Complete FREE Online Test or MCSD Practice Exam: 70-486 (Developing ASP.NET MVC Web Applications). Simply Click Here.
Further If you are interested to enhance your skills in all related technologies used in this article Series and others, you MUST understand related concepts in these FAQs/Interview Questions Series.
- ASP.NET MVC Interview Questions/Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Entity Framework Interview Questions/Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- What’s new in Entity Framework from beginning to EF7 – EF Core
- Bootstrap Interview Questions/Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- AngularJS Interview Questions/Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- jQuery Interview Questions/Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Correct Answer: C
ASP.NET MVC TempData Vs Sessions
Although ASP.NET MVC TempData stores it’s content in Session state but it gets destroyed earlier than a session object. TempData gets destroyed immediately after it’s used in subsequent HTTP request, so no explicit action required. If we use a Session object for this purpose, we would have to destroy the object explicitly.
It’s best fit for scenarios when:
- we need to preserve data from current to subsequent request.
- passing error message to an error page.
With the above discussion on using TempData in ASP.NET MVC, we have successfully covered different options for passing data from Controller to View in ASP.NET MVC. Hopefully reader will have a better understanding of using ViewBag, ViewData and TempData in ASP.NET MVC.
Previous: ViewBag and ViewData in ASP.NET MVC
Other ASP.NET MVC 5 Articles and Related:
- ASP.NET MVC3 Vs MVC4 Vs MVC5
- A practical guide to ASP.NET Web API
- Performing CRUD Operations using ASP.NET Web API
- WebResource.axd and ScriptResource.axd in ASP.NET
- Solution to browser back button event
- What’s new in WCF 4.5
- WCF Tutorial step by step
- Creating your first WCF REST Service
- Practical Guide to WCF RESTful Services
Top 10 Interview Questions and Answers Series:
- Top 10 HTML5 Interview Questions
- Top 10 ASP.NET Interview Questions
- Comprehensive Series of ASP.NET Interview Questions
- Top 10 ASP.NET MVC Interview Questions
- Top 10 ASP.NET Web API Interview Questions
- Top 10 ASP.NET AJAX Interview Questions
- Top 10 WCF Interview Questions
- Comprehensive Series of WCF Interview Questions