Microsoft ASP.NET Web API framework is the best choice for developing HTTP services in more simpler way. It enables us to reach more wider ranger of clients such as browsers as well as mobile devices.In one of my previous web development tutorial about building RESTful service, I explained that the purpose of HTTP is not just acting as a transport layer (for example, in case of SOAP-based WCF service). However, its a very mature platform for developing Web APIs and utilizing its old simple concepts such as HTTP methods, HTTP status codes and URIs etc.
UPDATE: If you are interested further on ASP.NET Core and ASP.NET Core Web API, you can follow below:
- ASP.NET Core Web API Tutorial Series – Part 1
- ASP.NET Core Web API Tutorial Series – Part 2
- ASP.NET Core Tutorial for Beginners
More Practical Implementations using ASP.NET Web API are:
- Developing an ASP.NET Web API Expense Management App with AngularJS
- Creating your first SPA Application using AngularJS and Web API having all CRUD Operations.
- Build a Full-Stack web app with ASP.NET Core, Entity Framework Core and Angular 2 & 4
Note: You can download a PDF version of the same “A Practical Guide to ASP.NET Web API” here.
So, we can say that using ASP.NET Web API, we can create HTTP services
- those are non-SOAP based like plain XML or JSON string.
- using full features of HTTP.
- reaching broader range of clients (browsers and mobile devices).
Following is the typical ASP.NET Web API processing architecture.
- A. GET
- B. POST
- C. DELETE
- D. PUT
To further test your ASP.NET Web API skill, Take a Complete FREE Online Test or MCSD Practice Exam: 70-486 (Developing ASP.NET MVC Web Applications). Simply Click Here.
Correct Answer: D
Lets move forward to implement all the above mentioned related features step by step.
- Resources and URIs
- HTTP Methods
- HTTP Status Codes
- HTTP Content
- Internet Media Types
- JSON & XML
Chapter 1:- Developing your first ASP.NET Web API service
In chapter 1, we will be creating a simple HTTP service using Web API. A step by step approach is used while developing the service and getting results as:
- Creating a Web API Project in Visual Studio
- Preparing a Domain Model
- Adding Controller
- Finally testing results in browser.
Chapter 2:- Performing CRUD operations using ASP.NET Web API service – Part 1
As chapter 1 only focuses getting records using HTTP GET verb only, this chapter provides complete detail understanding of all CRUD (Create, Retrieve, Update, Delete) operations using Web API. Discussion about all related HTTP verbs i.e. GET, PUT, POST, DELETE is provided.
Chapter 3:- Performing CRUD operations using ASP.NET Web API service – Part 2
As we have already developed Web API service in previous chapter, here in this chapter, we will be consuming already created HTTP service using jQuery. Complete code snippet of jQuery for consuming a Web API service is given with detailed understanding of jQuery AJAX call.
Chapter 4:- What’s new in ASP.NET Web API 2
Web API version 2 is released and this chapter briefly overview the top new features of ASP.NET Web API i.e.
- Attribute Routing
- Cross Origin Resource Sharing
- Open Web Interface for .NET
- Web API OData
Model in MVC framework is a representation of data structure. This Web API Tutorial focuses to understand and implement the data annotation technique for applying validation on a model class for an ASP.NET Web API application.
Chapter 6:- Exception Handling in ASP.NET Web API – Part 1
This chapter discusses about Exception Handling in ASP.NET Web API service. Instead of returning a generic status code i.e. 500 (Internal Server Error), a valid and meaning result should be sent back to client using HttpResponseException type.
Chapter 7:- Exception Handling in ASP.NET Web API – Part 2
To achieve the same purpose, as discussed in previous chapter, for more advanced scenarios: Web API provide Exception Fitlers and focus of the chapter is how to create an Exception Filter and return meaningful response.
Chapter 8:- ASP.NET Web API OData 5.3
Discussing in detail about features of Microsoft ASP.NET Web API OData 5.3 and 5.3.1 beta including:
- Open Entity Type Support
- Major Bug Fixes
- Dynamic Collection Property in Open Type
- More about flexibility to use $levels and $expand queries
- Utilizing OData Core Libraries.
Extras:- Top 10 ASP.NET Web API Interview Questions
For a detailed and comprehensive list of Top 10 most important Interview Questions for Microsoft ASP.NET Web API that every Web Developer MUST Know.
This collection of ASP.NET Web API Tutorial will definitely help developers to understand in more practical way.
Other ASP.NET Web API and Related Articles:
- Practical guide to WCF RESTful Service
- Single Page Application with ASP.NET Web API 2 and jQuery Hands-On
- Postback Vs Callback
- WCF tutorial for beginners
- The Complete ASP.NET MVC 5 Online Course
- ASP.NET MVC Shopping Cart Application
Top 10 Interview Questions and Answers Series:
- Top 10 HTML5 Interview Questions
- Top 10 ASP.NET Interview Questions
- Comprehensive Series of ASP.NET Interview Questions
- Top 10 ASP.NET MVC Interview Questions
- Top 10 ASP.NET Web API Interview Questions
- Top 10 ASP.NET AJAX Interview Questions
- Top 10 WCF Interview Questions
- Comprehensive Series of WCF Interview Questions
Software Engineer I
|Bothell, WA 98012||21-September-2017|
Junior/Mid Level Software Developer
|Oklahoma City, OK||17-October-2017|
Applications Software Engineer - Web Developer Sr
|San Diego, CA||13-October-2017|
|Saint Charles, MO 63304||11-October-2017|
|Richmond, VA 23225||11-October-2017|
|San Juan, PR||05-October-2017|
Software Developer - Medical Billing
|Napa, CA 94558||05-October-2017|
Software Application Developer
|Los Angeles, CA||04-October-2017|
Sr Software Developer
|Atlanta, GA 30360||04-October-2017|
Software Developer - Mid Level
|Fort Meade, MD 20755||01-October-2017|
|San Antonio, TX 78216||28-September-2017|
Software Developer ; Front-end
|San Diego, CA||27-September-2017|
Software Developer 3
|Durham, NC 27704||20-September-2017|
|San Diego, CA||19-September-2017|
Software Developer 2
|Audubon, PA 19403||18-September-2017|
Software Developer 2
|Lansdale, PA 19446||14-September-2017|
|Oak Ridge, TN||07-September-2017|