“A postback is a request sent from a client to server from the same page, user is already working with.“ASP.NET was introduced with a mechanism to post an HTTP POST request back to the same page. It’s basically posting a complete page back to server (i.e. sending all of its data) on same page. So, the whole page is refreshed.In order to understand how this postback mechanism works in ASP.NET, follow the simple steps:
- Add a new ASP.NET web form page to a project e.g. WebForm1.aspx.
- View the page code in HTML Source view. You will find something like following screen.
- Look the form line of code.
<form id=”form1″ runat=”server”>
It represents a server-side implementation of form control.
- Now just run the application to see WebForm1.aspx page and view its source code. HTML source of the page will display form element as follows:
<form method=”post” action=”WebForm1.aspx” id=”form1″>You can see that an HTML form element generated with an HTTP method as “POST” and action=”WebForm1.aspx”. So, if a submit button is clicked, the page will postback to itself by default.
But if we try to differentiate it from a postback then we can say: It’s a call made to the server to receive specific data instead of whole page refresh like a postback. In ASP.NET, its achieved using AJAX, that makes a call to server and updating a part of the page with specific data received.
Other Related Articles:
- MVC 3 Vs MVC 4 Vs MVC 5
- 7 jQuery code snippets every web developer must have
- 3 ways to generate proxy in WCF
- WCF Vs ASMX Web Services
- 3 simple steps to create your first ASP.NET Web API service
- Difference between ASP.NET WebForms and ASP.NET MVC
- WCF Self Hosting in a Console Application
- ViewBag Vs ViewData Vs TempData in ASP.NET MVC
Top 10 Interview Questions and Answers Series:
- Top 10 HTML5 Interview Questions
- Top 10 ASP.NET Interview Questions
- Comprehensive Series of ASP.NET Interview Questions
- Top 10 ASP.NET MVC Interview Questions
- Top 10 ASP.NET Web API Interview Questions
- Top 10 ASP.NET AJAX Interview Questions
- Top 10 WCF Interview Questions
- Comprehensive Series of WCF Interview Questions